SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production boats- justified bias?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Production boats- justified bias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I have said it before and will say it again, "No production boat manufacturer builds their boats to fail". If you race your boat and want to be competitive, then it needs to be modified to allow for the extreme conditions you would expect to encounter in the ocean. The cruiser not having to follow the fleet has the luxury to sit tight and enjoy another few days of partying and exploring their anchorage, waiting while the nasty weather passes. With today's weather routing and long range forecasts there is no reason to punch into rough weather, albeit we do tend to use the motor more than I would like, but the wife is happy and I do get good meals at set times with a drink at sun down. Occasionally you will get hit by a squall, but these are short lived and as long as you are ready can be exhilarating. Traveling to windward is only fun when the seas are small and the wind less than 15 knots and for a short duration of time, going to windward for days on end is just a pain and a sure fire way to piss off the cook/crew/significant other, that is unless a necessity of an ocean race. Buy the boat you like and can afford take precautions and plan ahead and you can go sooner and in comfort.
Well said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook