SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello!! Saling newbies from Kentucky!!
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

Magnolia is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello!! Saling newbies from Kentucky!!

Good morning, Kyhillbilly!! I am so glad there are so many of us here. And, all new to sailing. How fun!!

Kyhillbilly - you ask how we got into this, and if we have ever sailed on the ocean. Well, long story is...I've always wanted a boat, always, but, marriage, child, work, got in the way and we did other things. And while we went camping at lakes during the summer, or motor boated on friends boats, we never thought we would have one of our own.

We have taken many, many cruises in the Caribbean, and taken quite a few sailing charter trips. But, only as a paid customer, never to where we actually handled the boat/sails ourselves. There is nothing like being on the water. Nothing!

So, 2 yrs ago, my sil & bil bought a sailboat and have spent 2 years working on it, getting ready to head to the Caribbean and up & down & around, wherever they want to go, they'll go. This past Sept, or late Aug, I forget, they told us about a sailboat for sale, we finally looked at it in early Oct, had it surveyed and bought it Oct 15. So, thanks to them, we are now sailboat owners and have something to do during our retirement. That's our story and we are sticking to it! Ha!