SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help with 1979 Watkins 27 diesel ID
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Help with 1979 Watkins 27 diesel ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
I looked at a pretty nice 1979 Watkins 27 today. Everything seems to be there except the diesel. Original was removed a couple owners ago. Current owner says it was a Yanmar but had no idea which model. Current owner also confirms that drive shaft and propeller still in place. Looking to be an ICW cruiser, I would prefer an inboard diesel. But a new one is way beyond logical for a boat I will pick up fairly cheaply. So I have done some initial searching around on the Net for a cheap used Yanmar that I can either install or rebuild and install. Operating under the theory that it would be easiest if I can find something that is same footprint as original, I need to figure out what the original Yanmar was. Can any 1979 Watkins 27 owners tell me which Yanmar was in the boat originally. Once I have the right model number it would be helpful if people could advise me on finding a used or rebuildable unit. Thanks all.
Unless the guy is giving you this boat for FREE take this advice......... Find another boat! This is far too good a buyers market to be buying a basket case fixer upper that requires a diesel engine. You can find better boats ready to go. Again, a Watkins 27, without an engine, is a FREE boat not one you buy..... Anything more than a hand shake is paying too much for that vessel in this market..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook