SailNet Community - View Single Post - hauling her home instead of storing at the yard
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: hauling her home instead of storing at the yard

Plus being at home I never have to worry about "mast up" boats toppling over onto our boat:

Also in the spring I never have to worry about IGNORANT boaters skirting the rules and sanding their bottom with no dust collection system like they guy who showed up on a Sunday and covered every boat in the yard in green dust that took myself alone over 30 hours to clean! Some people who were ready to go in had THOUSANDS of dollars in canvas destroyed.

I can also "prep" my bottom paint in the spring with our 3000 PSI pressure washer. Sure beats Scotch-Brite or sanding. I can't do that in a boat yard...

At home I also have my own shore power and don't have to worry about the breaker being overloaded ten times on a Saturday... That is my barn where my tools live.... Forget a tool...... Takes two seconds to grab it..

Because of how the driveway for the boat was installed and the massive Hemlock hedge I cna get away with my own custom "vestibule" for the boat which makes getting on and off the boat easy as pie.. My ladder can also stay there all winter.....

You would pay a TON of money for a shrink job like this (used to cost me about $900.00 for a job not as well done). At most yards you can not DIY shrink wrap nor bring in an outside contractor... This costs me $300.00 and NOTHING touches my Awlcraft 2000 finish....

Also good luck getting a yards shrink wrappers to do the finer details like perimeter boards, perimeter board support struts and cross ties... Oh and you want removable cross ties so you can work on it... ha ha ha ahhhh...

Perimeter board, perimeter board support struts and REMOVABLE cross ties...

Also good luck trying to get the yards shrink wrap guys to give you "proper pitch" for your cover. We got 10"+ of some wet sticky white stuff yesterday and the cover this morning had ZERO snow on it.... The way it should be..

Pitch!

Taken out the bedroom window 5 minutes ago NO SNOW.

So there is more to hauling home than just saving money. Even if it cost the same I'd haul home. Took me a while to get the pad and driveway installed but it is soooooooooo worth it....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook