View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Here's how I did an informal test of the chart accuracy in the BVI:

Last December we went down for a land-based vacation on St. John USVI, and chartered boats a couple of days. One day we had a 23' powercat to go over to the Baths in BVI. Due to large swell and heavy chop, the captain hugged the coastline for much of the trip. We kept the Oregon 400c in my wife's purse to capture the track the whole day. His shoreline-hugging course gave me an outstanding opportunity to test the accuracy of the GPS and its embedded charts. I found many instances where the recorded track showed us significantly inland, and others where stopping points at shore were significantly off the shore.
Although I appreciate your effort to warn others, I have to wonder about the scientific method you applied by stuffing it in the wife's purse.

I'm gonna ass-u-me that your wife's purse may have been down below, or stowed somewhere, or that there could have been other things in the purse that may have effected the GPS antenna like getting lodged under a cell phone, etc. That antenna needs a line of sight to the sky to work properly.

I would say this is not a very scientific method of judging a GPS unit. Again, I think you had the best intentions.

Respectfully.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 12-28-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook