View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Thanks. We're not going until Feb.

So far, my fav is the iSailor app. I'm thinking of springing for iNavX.

I'm not really worried about GPS nav capability, as much as redundant chart display and a planning tool. But things like ETA are nice to have.
I keep forgetting that my son bought us an iPad, and got us the wireless version just to get the built-in GPS. (We don't use the wireless capability - just WiFi and occasional tethering to my Android phone if we need mobile connectivity.)

The reason I keep forgetting is my wife uses it so much I don't get much chance to try it out.

So I'm going to spend a little time looking into iNavx, iSailor, and Navionics. However, they're of little interest to me on my own boat until they're upgraded to accept NMEA sentences via Bluetooth. I want real-time AIS targets on my chartplotter display like I have on my Netbook - anything less is a downgrade. But for a charter, one of these apps might do the trick if they're not too costly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook