SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI chart/nav app
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
...and almost useless unless you have a Garmin chartplotter with WiFi networking capabilities. I was disappointed to see that this is not a freestanding chart plotter app that uses the internal GPS, but merely a repeater that takes the GPS coordinates though WiFi from a Garmin chartplotter.

I'll download the free app and see if it can make a wireless link with my Oregon 400c (which is touted as being capable of wireless sharing), but I'm not willing to buy the Garmin WiFi adapter to run the experiment. Leave it to Garmin to require a dongle add-on to override the iPad's built-in WiFi capability.
That's interesting as I have just used it on two separate boat trips on the East coast and West coast of Florida where it tracked perfectly using the internal GPS on an iPad 2. It does not appear to provide a "go to" routing system like standalone plotters but it is perfectly acceptable for casual use. The interface with Active Captain is excellent.

Still what do I know, annoyed opinion always trumps experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook