SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI chart/nav app
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
That's interesting as I have just used it on two separate boat trips on the East coast and West coast of Florida where it tracked perfectly using the internal GPS on an iPad 2. It does not appear to provide a "go to" routing system like standalone plotters but it is perfectly acceptable for casual use. The interface with Active Captain is excellent.

Still what do I know, annoyed opinion always trumps experience.
Sorry, I couldn't tell from your post that you had actually purchased and used the Garmin software. My (incorrect) conclusion that it did not use the internal GPS was based on disappointed reviews in the App Store that claimed it didn't use the internal GPS. Also, this statement on Garmin's site seemed to agree:

Quote:
Once underway, the Garmin Marine Wi-Fi Adapter will allow your iPad to be used to “follow the boat” along its route by wirelessly sharing the GPS location from the Garmin marine network.
But your actual experience is much more valuable to me than any of this. I don't need "go to" routing. As long as I can plot a course and see where my boat is relative to that course, I'll have more than I need. (In my busy home waters I also want AIS targets on the chart.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook