SailNet Community - View Single Post - The balance point
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: The balance point

When my Catalina 320 was being commissioned in 1999, we had a tropical storm pass just offshore. The boat was in the water at that point, but mast had not been stepped. Dealer anchored the boat out in the river with two anchors on a spread from the bow. The storm largely passed us by, but the wind blew much of the water out of the river. Next morning, I went to check on the boat. When I saw it, it was upright on the wing keel, but the rudder had sunk into the ground, so the boat was at an angle, with stern touching water at that point. A fellow sailor saw the boat about 30 minutes before I did, and at that time, he said it was sitting perfectly level on it's lines balanced on the keel and steadied by the two anchor rodes...i.e. like the one pictured in the post above. I was concerned that we might have damage, but we did not. Later in the day, the water came back up to near normal and the boat resumed floating peacefully at anchor. Of course, this situation was totally unstable and the boat could have gone over at any time if the supporting soil gave way or wind/wave action hit it the right way. Some EU boats (often twin keelers) are designed to rest on their bottoms when the tides go out. Also, some swing keel boats. I wouldn't want to trust working around a typical single keel boat without some sort of secure steadying arrangement (pilings with boat tied securely to them).

Last edited by NCC320; 12-28-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook