SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Share Ideas Please
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

RossC32 is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Share Ideas Please

Thanks everyone for the very positive feedback on this idea. I was once in a full partnership with two other people and that worked very well. On the other hand, a friend of mine ended up having a disastrous partnership. One odd thing about my previous partnership is that it actually began to cost a little more than I could afford. It was very easy to spend money on better equipment and/or on having work done instead of doing it oneself: “Gee, one third of $1,000 is only $333.33! Let’s go for it!” My partners were great guys but had more money than I did

Sailingfool brings up the issue of insurance and legal aspects of sharing use and operating costs rather than being full owner/partners. These are very important and have been on my mind. I will start by checking the insurance situation with my company.

Ninefingers provided a link to a boat partnership. Thanks, I’ll be looking into that.

Jgbrown asked if mine was the boat out on the hard on Granville Island for a while. If you mean during the summer, and the bottom was being painted red, then yes it probably was. Thanks very much for the compliment. I like the boat!

Obviously personality (and anality(?)) are critical in something like this and those are hard to fully assess, even in close acquaintances, let alone strangers. An ‘interview’ and some sailing together should help. Has anyone got any pointers on other ways to bring out incompatibilities?

Again, thanks for the feedback so far.

Ross
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook