SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
My previous generation by 3 or 4 Jeanneau, has 2400 to 6500 lbs of boat. With a 5.5' draft.

At the end of the day, if the boat works for your purpose, keel design and where the ballast is set at works, away you go! enjoy your boat! I'll still take my Jeanneau over an equal Catalina with a lead keel, I may heel a bit more, but I am faster in all but light winds!

Marty
A light weight disp fin keel will do better than my boat in light air (<5kt), but not by much, alot of heavy disp full keels can't get out of their own way in light air, my boat has always surprised me in light air. It doesn't take much for me to get to hull speed, 10kt wind w/main and working jib = 6.5kt. My boat starts to excel over the lighter fin keels as the wind kicks up, and when things get dicey I would have anything else. My "obsolete/antiquated" rig works differently and behaves differently with performance weeks over the years is quite satisfying, aside from performance, she has a style and grace that just doesn't happen in production boats. I respect "to each his own" as should everyone.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook