SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mooring bouys

17K views 161 replies 33 participants last post by  rockDAWG 
#1 ·
I cruise BC waters. In southern waters mooring bouys are ever increasing. This is a "what if"... you enter an anchorage and your only option is a lone mooring bouy available and you take it. What happens if the owner of the bouy arrives 03:00 knocks on your hull and asks you to leave?

... thanks...

#160 ·
GMC, I get your point. However, you are saying that society could, if it chose to exercise its authority, get away with forcing its will on the individual and requiring they pay more. Probably true. However, society haven't actually subsidized the cost of these moorings. Failing to exercise your power is not a subsidy. I doubt there is a single harbor or harbor patrol that was created exclusively to permit the presence of an owner occupied mooring field.

#161 ·
Minnewaska,
Right. I think the better analogy is not society's ability to tax. A mooring permit is different as it is a license or permit to use public property that has value. Probably a bad example, but if the state government owns an unused building and leases it for 100 dollars a month in a market where comparable property is leasing at 10,000, the lessee is getting a deal and the loss in rent is absorbed by us, the public, who own the building. Maybe there is a good reason for the lower rent, but not charging the fair market rent is a type of subsidy. That's all I mean.
Greg

#162 ·
For the records, I would never use any privately owned mooring buoy unless in an emergency that will create a greater danger to others if I don't pick the ball.

OTOH, if I own a mooring ball or a slip, I don't mind other using it if I am not around. I may put a contact number on a small tag attached to the ball and advise the transient captain to call me before using it for the nite.

I don't mind to share :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.