SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring bouys
Thread: Mooring bouys
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
When I asked the govt for a map of private water leases for moorings, they said "We dont give leases for private moorings."
So the seabed is public property for the use of everyone and putting out a mooring doesn't mean you have ownership or first use of it.
Climbing over someone's rail to physically dispute someone on your mooring, makes you a sitting duck, with both hands occupied.
If I put out a ball, chain, permanent mooring etc.. assuming I paid for them all I do, in fact, own them. However I do not own the water-space or real estate my "anchor" sits on. Correct?

Assume for the moment I do own them, does leaving them in an area that is otherwise public mean no one else can use it? For instance, when hunting, and you leave your tree stand/blind on public land just because its yours doesn't mean your the only one who can use it. Etiquette dictates you shouldn't but the law says you may.

Confusing issue for sure.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook