SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring bouys
Thread: Mooring bouys
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Mooring bouys

So that marina over there is in a spot I want to use. I should be able to tie up for free right? Why can't I take anyone's slip I please.? I mean after all we all own the water how can that marina be taking up such a prime piece of underwater real estate....? How can that fisherman place his trap there what if I want to anchor there and he is "impeding my right to navigation".....

Fact: Transport Canada issues mooring permits TP 13585 E . Some moorings don't even require the approval of the "Minister" (moorings that fall under Annex A) moorings that fall under Annex B would require the full approval process. If you don't like this fact take it up with your government and get them to stop issuing or allowing these moorings.

Taking the "law" into your own hands or being a vigilante is wrong in any country. These moorings, according to Transport Canada and numerous other Government resources, have a "legal" and Government sanctioned right to be there, if the rules are followed.

Whether one likes this or not is beside the point because it IS supported by the Canadian Government. Just like here in the US if you don't like it, talk to your representatives and get the laws changed. Why so many feel the need to become a Vigilante when they disagree with the laws of their own country is always amusing behavior to me..

Another point I came across are that some Provinces have granted leases to the submerged lands or ceded control to local governments so the law in Canada seems not a lot more "cut & dry" than it is here in the US. Here we have 50 states and thousands of towns where the submerged lands regulations can be different.... The submerged lands in the US are under each states control and the states usually cede control to the local towns to manage at their discretion. NH is one of the few states that does a large part of the submerged lands management from the state level. Course they only have a few miles of coastline to manage.

The laws in Canada, while different, still allow for "moorings". If you don't like that fight to change it LEGALLY not as a VIGILANTE....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-28-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook