SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI chart/nav app
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

OK, I finally pried the iPad from my wife's clenched fingers. Here area few questions for those of you who may have used it in BVI:
  • I've downloaded the free Garmin Bluechart Mobile software and the ActiveCaptain database, which has several useful entries for BVI. As Gerry pointed out above, it does pick up the internal GPS if I turn off the external GPS option in settings. As I look over Garmin's chart purchase options, I see some of the same issues that scared me off from buying their microSD cards for my Oregon. For $30 I can get US Coastal which appears to include the same range as my Oregon 400c. It's hard to tell from the little coverage chart, but it looks like it just barely makes it over to BVI (just like my Oregon), and it's less costly than the total North America coverage at $45. But then there's the concern about accuracy in BVI, as I illustrated with my Oregon above. Does anyone have experience with Garmin's US coastal accuracy in the BVI region for these downloadable charts? Is the $45 North America coverage any more accurate in BVI?
  • Charts&Tides, which Minnewaska recommended, looks interesting and much lower cost for the charts. But I do not see any coverage in the Caribbean. Is there something I'm missing? And if there is coverage, how is its accuracy?
  • I also downloaded Transas iSailor, recommended by Minnewaska. The instruction manual is very limited, and doesn't mention features like Import and Export. I'd like to import some GPX waypoints and tracks, but how do I "Add files to the iSailor Documents list"? Where is this list located? (I tried a File Manager program, but can't find any folder where this list might be located.) Also, how is the accuracy of their charts compared to Garmin and the others?

The whole chart accuracy thing is a real issue for me, given the discrepancies that I demonstrated above. So any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook