SailNet Community - View Single Post - Croatia and VAT
Thread: Croatia and VAT
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Croatia and VAT

If you have a boat registered in the Caymans or the BVI and you travel to the EU with the boat then you don't immediately have to pay VAT upon entry into the Union - a great cash savings but the boat now needs to leave the EU in order to keep that tax-exempt status. I believe it is every 18 months but haven't looked into the details. I gather that if I own the boat in my name and cannot prove residency outside of the EU they will collect VAT as well - I've heard anecdotal stories about the Germans doing so but no first-hand experience; this means that to be 100% effective one would need to create an IBC and have the ownership in the company name plus a contract between yourself and the company allowing use. All rather complex but for a big yacht that work can be worth it.

In my case I won't be returning to the EU with the boat for a while, and when I do it will be part of my belongings as a returning expat and will be VAT exempt (with a couple of conditions, such as not selling the boat within x-months of returning). By that time depreciation will have also reduced the tax value of the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook