SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to sailnet, Mainer who wants to get into sailing
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: New to sailnet, Mainer who wants to get into sailing

Moose,

Check on Craigslist. There's Northeast Sailboat Rescue in Freeport. I didn't have great luck there but that was 5 years ago. Also, before you buy, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. He has lots of good info on smaller sailboats up to 27'. It will help you to know what to look for. At $1,000, you really have a constraint against you. If you find a "free" boat, it will cost twice as much as one with a price. I think it was Donna that talked about training. Unless you are known to have a good head on your shoulders, get some training. At VERY LEAST "Sailing and Seamanship" from USCGA. SMTC is hosting a couple of classes in two weeks. Check locally to see if there are more. If you can afford it, get to the local yacht club and find out when ASA classes begin. Study "Sailing For Dummies" and other reputable publications from now until you hang up you ascot. The think is, sailing is not rocket science, it's mostly physics, a littel bit of art with a little hocus pocus for flavor. But . . . when the wind turns, the water goes thin, the house batteries short out, a tanker pulls up on your port side, a shroud separates, a winch detaches from the coming, you wake up, keel deep in mud, your compass spins, GPS goes dead, fog rolls in . . . or anything else that has happen to us. Anybody can make 'er go. Sailing is handling all the other stuff. Fortunately, those other things Usually don't come all at once. I'm a light-hearted 50 year old kid that came over to sailing 5 years ago. I sail our Lancer 25 all over Casco Bay to Muscongus Bay most of the summer weekends with my wife. We launch out of Portland or Biddeford. If you'd like to give me a call for advice on what we ran up against as we cluelessly bought our Lancer, drop me a private message. We were blessed enough to buy the perfect boat for us.

Regards,

Don Scribner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook