SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need help and advice on choosing a sailboat.
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Need help and advice on choosing a sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naresh97 View Post
Hello there, I'm looking to purchase my first sailboat.

I'm primarily looking for offshore sailing boats as I'd like to travel places.

My budget is around $160,000.

The crew would be around 3-4 people.

Speed should be moderate speed, not slow.

A spacious cabin is a definite plus.

I've been taking a look at some boats like the Hunter 356, Bayfield 32.

Thanks for replies ^^
As so often happens, when someone names a couple of designs that interest them they are often diametrically opposed in design concept. The Hunter 356 and the Bayfield 32 are such a pair.

The Bayfield probably wasn't produced after the early/mid 80s and the Hunter is a 2000 era boat, very different on many many fronts.

You have a decent budget and should be able to find a reasonably good boat for what you have in mind. But these two on your 'short list' means you have a lot more research to do. Specifying offshore duty narrows the field, though that does depend on exactly what you mean by offshore.

Any boat you find will likely need some upgrades and tweaks before heading over the horizon so keeping that in mind, you'll need some cash left over after purchase. So lets say that leaves you with $120K to shop with.. max.

A YW search with VERY broad parameters turned up nearly 5000 boats between 32 and 40 feet... enjoy:

1980 (Sail) Cruiser Boats For Sale

Here's US listings only

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook