SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need help and advice on choosing a sailboat.
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Re: Need help and advice on choosing a sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naresh97 View Post
Thank you Faster for your advice. Yes, I do have much much more research to do about these boats, however I do understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that both these boats are fibreglass sloops. I do not really see the large difference between these two boats, so if you would kindly clear things up for me. That'll be great
The Westsail 32 and Melges 32 are both fiberglass sloops, too -- same length, tiller steering, bowsprits ... rather different sailboats for all that.

Rather different missions.

You have a budget -- good. What kind of sailing do you intend, and on what sailing grounds? Offshore is different than coastal. Bahamas is different than the Pacific. Motoring down the ICW is different from 4000 mile tradewinds passages, which is different from tearing around the buoys in San Diego Bay. How many people aboard, for how long, and what are their expectations of comfort, privacy, modern conveniences, and adventure? Will there be several qualified hands aboard or just you?

Where will the boat be stored? Are you comfortable working with fiberglass, wood, canvas, diesel engines, DC electrical systems?

By all means, goggle at as many different boats as possible, until a particular type (or specific model!) catches your eye. But until you can honestly answer the questions above (and more), you've basically got a boat-shaped dream without enough parameters to flesh it out & give it a name. WHO is gonna do WHAT with the boat, and WHERE?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook