SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Life 10.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Paulo,

The design and specs are not set yet, but they are aiming for around 1300-1400 kg ballast. The boat do have a fair amount of sail area but as I have mentioned before there is not always strong winds in Sweden The idea is to take the first reef at 8-10 knots of wind, so that light wind performance donīt suffer to much. I guess the Pogo is set up for heavier winds.

... I like the concept of the 10.0, it would be the right size for family cruising, yet small enough to be easy to handle shorthanded.

//Mr W
Yes, the right size but for cruising with the family? A cruiser boat that reefs the sails with 8/10K? do you have not gusting winds there or gusts created by orography?

That is a racing boat for at least a crew of two. on a cruising boat is not realistic to reef with less than 12/14K wind specially now where the norm is having only two reefs. For going fast on lighter winds cruisers use a code 0 or a Geenaker not a huge main.

The smaller boat is interesting and this one can be too but they have to define if it is a racer or a performance cruiser. They can also make two versions, one a racer other a performance cruiser.

Regarding ballast I like boats with a big B/D ratio and with 1300/1400kg that will be the case but then for that ballast to work you need heel and that boat is not made to heel. I guess the boat need a ker type of transom one that allows going fast downwind with a minimum wet surface and allows the boat to have considerable heel before the hull form start to make full effect, I mean like this:

That is a Sydney 43GS. Do you have seen the performance on the last Hobart? truly amazing!!!!

regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-29-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook