SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tanzer 14
Thread: Tanzer 14
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

Kestrel is on a distinguished road
Re: Tanzer 14

A laser would probably be more enjoyable, but doesn't seem to fit the budget at the moment. Most folks want close to a thousand dollars in these parts for a decent boat, and I'd ideally like to spend half of that in order to dabble and get started. Ideally, I'd like to work my way up to something larger, and do some ocean sailing in the distant future. But starting small doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

The Tanzer locally available seems to be in decent condition, and comes in at a fraction of the cost of a laser, trailer included. It's tempting!

One of my other options is an attractively priced Phantom hull, which I think would better handle a small passenger than a Sunfish, but it lacks a mast, sail, rigging, and a rudder. (Daggerboard only.) Though a Sunfish mast and sail would work, I'm concerned that piecing it together may be more trouble than I think - especially the rudder. I have some friends who do metal fabrication, so I don't doubt I could arrange something for the rudder, but even so...

Last edited by Kestrel; 12-30-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook