SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gluing Pedestal Guard Feet???
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Gluing Pedestal Guard Feet???

Tom,

I did this exact project 5 years ago. The pedestal guard legs insertsinto the chrome feet which have a rubber gasket and a large heavy washers and have two substantial 3-4 inch long (1/2 inch diameter bolts). You must put the washers ( I added a backing plate too) under the cockpit sole then the rubber on top of the sole then the chrome feet holder. Just gluing with 5200 will not withstand the stress of pressure you will torque the guard with either holding on to it or falling against it. The backing plate will spread the stress. In my install I actually used the tubes to lead down all my wires from the two nav pods I have which have Chartplotter and radar cables. I drilled holes for the bolts as well as for the cables. If you have core you have to gouge it out and fill with epoxy so there is no water intrusion in the core of the cockpit sole.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...7548&id=128476

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-30-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook