SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gluing Pedestal Guard Feet???
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Gluing Pedestal Guard Feet???

I receives some bad advise a number of years ago an bedded my rope clutches with 5200. I developed a leak on one of them, and had to pull it to seal the leak. That is when I realized the mistake I had made using 5200 in the first place. I thought I could just peel the clutches off the deck. Yeah right! So I thought, "no problem I just need a little more force!" so I attached a halyard to one end of the clutches and used the winch to carefully lift them off the deck. They showed no signs of separating from the deck, but the cabin top was visibly flexing. I am sure that if I continued with that strategy I would have ripped a hole in the deck before the 5200 let go! That stuff is pretty much forever! The problem is, whatever load you put on it is ONLY on the top layer of the deck. If you exceed the strength of that layer you are dealing with serious damage to your deck.

Do yourself a favor: come to terms with the idea of drilling holes and through bolting your hardware. The way you describe it is certainly a good way to go about it, but if you bed it properly you don't necessarily have to go that far. Don't glue it, bolt it!
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook