SailNet Community - View Single Post - Contest/Game - Identify this picture
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Contest/Game - Identify this picture

I think tdw should get it, since I opened up google maps to "Toulon" and saw the promontory right away and it took longer to zoom in to it than I thought with the slow connection. Saint Mandrier-Sur-Mer

View Larger Map

Wiki: Saint-Mandrier-sur-Mer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In World War II, Saint-Mandrier was fortified with two turrets, each mounting a pair of 340mm naval guns taken the French battleship Provence. This fortress controlled the approaches to Toulon, and the range and power of these guns was such that a considerable Allied naval force was required to destroy them. Part of the fleet, and the first to engage the battery, was the Free French battleship Lorraine, sister ship to the Provence and mounting the same type of gun. The Allies termed the battery 'Big Willie', and dedicated a battleship or heavy cruiser to shelling it every day; eventually USS Nevada silenced the guns on August 23, 1944, although the fortress would not be taken until 28th.[1][2]
At first I thought it might have been those in "The guns of Navarone" but I gather that those were in Greece and based on the artillery at Leros.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 12-30-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook