SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Wars
Thread: Anchor Wars
View Single Post
post #29 of Old 12-30-2012
pdqaltair

Re: Anchor Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ok, here is the quote from Mainesail initial testing in "Another Next Generation Anchor Enters the Market Post #146
Now that is completely credible. Each generation should be an improvement over the last, and so I have no trouble believing the Mantus is very good. But having used Rocna and Manson I know what they will do. Dragging them at very low scope on hard sand with no chain is silly. If the tester had lifted the rope just a bit higher none would have bit, and from that we could conclude that a rock would serve as well.

Bolts? When new I'm sure it is rock solid, as that is easier to engineer than a weld. After 15 years? Only testing to destruction could say, but I suspect periodic bolt replacement would be needed for heavy users. 5 years? Wait longer and they won't come out. I would lean towards all welded, as the bolts bring me no up-side. Not a criticism so much as feedback for the manufacturer to consider.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome