SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring bouys
Thread: Mooring bouys
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
It's not the individuals who set their own moorings who cause the problem. They will probably actually use them.
Not necessarily... Every time I return to Maine, I'm seeing more and more "Destination Moorings" being placed by individuals in prime locations, apparently with little or no regulation whatsoever... A place like Perry Creek on Vinalhaven is a prime example, now choked with private moorings that might have been placed by some hedge fund manager from Boston with a summer vacation home in Camden, and used only on Saturdays thru the summer, or during the month of August...

Those Morris 42 "Weekenders", or Friendship 40 Faberge' Eggs aren't really meant to be anchored, after all... (grin)

Friends of mine in Maine tell me this phenomenon is becoming a serious annoyance... Perhaps Maine Sail or Down will weigh in on this...

This issue was raised in OCEAN NAVIGATOR a decade ago:

Are private moorings crowding Maine waters? - Ocean Navigator - January/February 2003

And here's Curtis Rindlaub's take on it from back then, I would guess his opinion has likely hardened a bit in the interim...

MAINE COAST: Cruising the Maine Coast => Vacant moorings
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook