Thread: Mooring bouys
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

okawbow is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Let's look at some of the pros of moorings:

1.They are a cheaper alternative for those of us who may not be able to afford a slip.
2. They actually open up more public access to the water, imagine if all of us on moorings suddenly needed a slip.
3. In busy anchorages they are better for the ecosystem of the sea floor.
4. In busy anchorages they allow for more boats with less swing room. Imagine if those moorings suddenly changed over to anchors, there would be even less room available.
5. A well maintained mooring is safer than an anchor.

The cons of moorings so far:
1. Transients who prefer to anchor are sometimes inconvenienced. They may even have to contribute a few dollars to the local economy.
So, you've saved for years to afford to cruise a while, and find that you can just do it; if you don't have to spend a lot of money every day just to tie up for the night. After all, the ocean belongs to all of us, right?

Let's look at the alternatives to anchoring. IF I can find a slip near where I want to stop; $3.00 - $4.00 per foot, per night! (I don't earn that much in one day.) How about renting a mooring for the night,($35.00) ? Call on the radio, "harbor master, harbor master, harbor master" any moorings available? "Sorry, all the rental moorings are taken. The rest are privately owned." Happened to us several times.

Anchoring is free. We will spend our available money anyway in the local economy, at stores, museums, food and entertainment.

For those thinking of cruising the same areas; I suggest you invest in good anchors and lots of chain.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook