SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#1,952 ·
Oh well I guess I should have asked for the name of the fort ?

La Perouse, looking south towards Bare Island Fort.

Too easy.

All yours Mark.

#1,967 ·
Good job, Laurence, now it's your turn. I had deliberately avoided more context so identification wouldn't be too easy. Here is a more identifiable view, with a hint of the high rent district that is Watch Hill. You can also get a hint of the tidal currents in this area.

#1,968 ·
hi Fallard, I guessed we were looking at a lighthouse in your cruising area of New England. Google images revealed hundreds of great looking lighthouses in the NE coastal states and it was obvious by the similarity in designs my guess was close to the mark. 30 mins on Google and I eventually identified your pic as Watch Hill :)

I'll try to continue with the lighthouse theme with my next pic.

#1,972 ·
Well done DonJuanLuis:) that didn't take you long. Over to you.

The original 20-metre Wadjemup Lighthouse was completed in 1849 and was Western Australia's first stone lighthouse. It was built to provide a safer sailing passage for ships to Fremantle Port and the Swan River Colony.
Wadjemup Lighthouse on Rottnest Island

I am guessing that the Watch Hill lighthouse (posted by Fallard) was in sight of the Americas Cup course off Newport, RI where the Americas cup was successfully defended for about 130 years. Wadjemup Lighthouse would have been in clear sight by the yachts racing for the Cup during its defence in 1983.

#1,976 ·
Yes, Laggon pond, Vineyard heaven, Martha's Vineyard
BTW if you want a mooring in the pond will have to get in the waiting list, ant the wait could be more than a couple of years!
I really liked this place.

regards...

#1,981 ·
My apologies. He spent a year at school in Australia and did a fair amount of touring. He also likes to peek over my shoulder.

I have the following location to offer with two somewhat useless photos. More photos may be added. Most of them are useless. The big hint is that these photos were taken in September of last year.

#1,982 ·
Alaska, Port Clarence.

Not that I know Alaska and I have never heard of Port Clarence... but hey, how wrong could I be.

September is beacaus the sea ice has mostly melted. Those lumps in the top photo arn't ice but after the anual Gay Mans Shave-A-Thon they leave a bit of shaving cream.

The cloud on the horizon in the top photo is Russia. Because every one knows that commos live in near darkness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.