SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Wars
Thread: Anchor Wars
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchor Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
What's it made of? Why are they bolting the component pieces together? Not sure I'd want to trust my boat to a bunch of nuts! (No pun intended).
Saw a new anchor two with weld joints that would be suspect awhile back.

Reality is, nuts/bolts or weld joints, either if not done correctly can and do fail. I would trust nuts and bolts before welds for many items. Hopefully, if one uses one of these as a storm anchor, as a few have bought them, they have time BEFORE the storm hits to tighten/torque the nuts/bolts to a proper spec and they should hold just fine. I would worry about other items on my anchoring system before nuts and bolts holding the anchor together. Like the rope rubbing on something below I can not see and breaking, the shackle tween the chain and anchor/ or chain and rope if the latter is not spliced. Maybe even the cleats on the deck!

Then I digress..........the fellow local with a mantus that went thru some 60 knot winds has a 65lb unit for a 40 or so foot boat, that is probably around 20K as he has it loaded. It did drag once, but personally, I would put it on operator error over the anchor itself, along with potentially some other issues beyond the scope of the anchor.

Marty