SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bareboating Catana 47: Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

dmic is on a distinguished road
Re: Bareboating Catana 47: Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique

Hi REsCAT, First I should say I am by no means an expert on boat design, or sailing big cats for that matter. Our Catana 47 had a helm on each stern. The autopilot and throttle controls were located on the starboard helm. The chartplotter was inside the salon. From either helm you could only see from approximately zero degrees outward so anytime you navigated a narrow channel, passed another vessel, docked, etc you were completely blind for about a 120 degree arc on the opposite side. I have sailed other layouts (like the Robertson & Caines, Lagoons, etc) that have a single helm elevated to where you can actually see where you're going, and those seem more skipper friendly. I'm sure a more seasoned skipper might do fine with the Catana but I found myself having to post lookouts more often since I couldn't see where I was going (lots of poorly marked fish trap floats, etc) and docking on the port side was very tough since I was blind on that side when operating the throttles at the starboard helm. Also, having to run inside to check the chartplotter was less than ideal.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook