SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Pogo 12.50

Thanks Eric. That was one of the best if not the best post on this thread and that is not only because it confirms what I think about the Pogo

I am really happy that the boat was everything you have hoped for.

The upwind performance with waves was expected and that is the reason that even a 40 Class racer can be beaten on a upwind race like the Hobart by a well sailed First 40, but we also saw what one had made on the last ARC Transat, beating a Swan 80.

My boat can make 6.5K at 27º on the conditions you give up to go upwind at 35º of apparent wind and actually is fun doing that (even if my wife got seasick) but certainly will not make 15K bearing off.

The only thing I think that deserves some thought is that need of changing the front sail when the wind increases. Certainly the guys from Pogo can provide you with a front sail that can work well furled even if at the cost of some performance, at least to be used when you sail solo or with your wife. probably the problem is with the front traveler position. Maybe a fixed point more inside for the lines?

Regarding that lack of efficiency with the engine I have experienced the same with the Opium 39 and the RM 1200, both boats with the large transom and I have saw in boat tests also a smaller motoring speed with the same engine on that type of boats. I guess you are right in what regards to more drag with the boat flat in the water, drag that only disappear when the boat heels slightly.

Again thank you for the excellent post and a great new year to you.

Die Siegeryachten des Jahres 2012 - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

Pogo 12.50 , Chantier Naval Structures from Andreas Lindlahr on Vimeo.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook