SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production boats- justified bias?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Production boats- justified bias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452
Thanks for the 20 plus pages ! I am new and trying to digest all this and learn. Can I ask for stability, do sailers have a world index for each type of boat? ISO 12217 ? Categogy A,B,C, 1,2,3 ? Do they hide this data? I was looking at the Chicargo to Mac. race. They are trying to make a (safe) boat rule. Is there a way to put a stamp or number to every boat to judge apples to apples ? You have upright and inverse stablity. You can build a huge pencil put a weight on the bottom a sail on the top. It will have a large phrf and not out run the weather. It will not capsize. Should I have some easy way to know this? THANKS, LOU
Some boat builders publish the stability curves, others will give them to you if you ask and others don't really like to give them but if you say that you won't buy the boat without seeing it, they will give it to you

Regards

Paulo
Regarding the difficulty of obtaining stability curves for American production boats, I'm guessing it might just possibly be due to the fact that so many of them suck...? (grin)

There will be such data for boats that have been measured for the IMS... There is supposed to be a document or booklet available from US Sailing - PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE NORTH AMERICAN IMS FLEET - but after a quick look at their website, I didn't notice any link to it, but it should be available somewhere...

As to Lou's question, Nigel Calder has a pretty thorough discussion of these issues in the first chapter of his CRUISING HANDBOOK... It includes a table of key parameters of a small assortment of about 2 dozen contemporary US & Euro boats between 38-42 feet... For example, the LPS of a Catalina 400 MK II is only 111 degrees, whereas for a Pacific Seacraft 40, it is an impressive 143... Numbers like that could someday translate to a VERY meaningful difference, say, somewhere between Newport, and Bermuda...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 12-30-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook