SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring bouys
Thread: Mooring bouys
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

At Perry Creek perhaps 20% should not be there but this anchorage is managed by the residents of Vinalhaven, a tough lot, and I seriously doubt it will change. Could they make the permitting process tougher with more "justification" like "Is this a storm mooring for a resident of Vinalhaven or Northaven?" Sure, they could, but this is island life and you will NEVER get or understand the small island politics nor penetrate it or dictate what or how they should or should not manage their waters....

Are "destination" moorings an issue in Maine? In the big scheme of things I would have to say no. I say this because we have HUNDREDS of places to anchor. If you "must" visit Perry Creek or The Goslings, and feel "entitled" to do so then you can use the moorings until the owner comes along as this is the "unwritten rule". Even at Perry Creek you can still anchor just as you can at the Goslings... You may not get the most "prime" spot but you can still anchor...

A catch 22 I'd say.....
Perry Creek is still a favorite anchorage for us living nearby. I've seen more destination moorings placed in there, especially in the last few years. I believe the destination moorings are a higher percentage(I know so many of the owners, they live nearby) but agree, if anything, they increase the number of boats that can safely spend the night. I will agree again, that owners refer to these as "storm moorings", even when they are not.

Overall though, as you say, these moorings are only in a few pockets where there are no local regs(they're not local working harbors), and your right and room to anchor is alive and well on the coast of Maine.

I've been telling sailors for years, Pondering a More Lasting Presence on the Coast | Maine ,... use these destination moorings.

The owners that place them have taken your anchoring space hostage, the least they can do is lend them out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook