SailNet Community - View Single Post - Suggestions for my next boat
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Re: Suggestions for my next boat

Since you are leaning toward J's anyway, I would recommend the 34c, 32, or even the 37. I am a bit biased having owned a 34c and both versions of the 37. 34's are hard to find as they only built 36. 37's and the 37c are a bit more available with the non-c version being quite reasonable in price. Initial stability of Jboats is lower than some, but when you build some speed, they lock in with 12-15 degrees heel and move. I love they way they sail. I have never owned a 32, but would strongly consider that one for what you are wanting to do. They have very large berths, good headroom, well built, and are newer than the others. Also, they have Yanmars in them. The 34 and the 37-non c have Volvos, I never had a lot of problems from my Volvos, but parts are expensive and tech info is not as good as with Yanmars. Shoal versions of all 3 sail very well compared to deeper draft boats, though in my opinion, there is no substitute for draft. I would not be hesitant to go with any of these. Go look at jcruiser.org when you have a moment, there is a little bit of info there on these boats. Post with your search progress.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook