Thread: Mooring bouys
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
Our biggest issue is abandoned moorings. You can't anchor near them, you can't put a mooring near them, and you can't use them because they are in crap condition at best. My mooring is one of 6 in front of our club and only ONE other one is safe to use. Like mine, it was put down last spring. I chase people off them on occasion - not for "ownership" reasons but because they are unsafe for anything bigger than an Opti.

We have a spring project planned to remove all the junk gear and put down one or two good ones for guests of the club. I would like to see a basic permit/sticker process where if the sticker is over X years out of date the gear is removed.
A possible solution is using private enterprise to maintain mooring areas. Thinking about Port Jefferson/Setauket Harbor on Long Island, NY, Brookhaven town gives permission for marinas to place and maintain moorings in the designated areas. With this setup, the mooring placer has incentive, both financial and legal, to keep them in good condition. IMO they do hog up too much space BUT at least they are kept in relatively good condition and will not foul the bottom with old junk (although in the thick mud most abandoned moorings will disappear in not too long a period of time). An old buddy of mine owns one of the marinas and I know for a fact that he keeps the moorings in good shape.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-31-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook