SailNet Community - View Single Post - outboard size for 23-26' boats?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: outboard size for 23-26' boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward H View Post
Hee Hee, That's what I thought when I bought my N17 last Nov. Once wife got on the boat over the summer she decided we needed a bigger boat. Bought a 25' Oday this past Oct. 2 boats in less than a yr AND she is now talking about moving up again so we have room for the dogs. Glas it is winter so she can think about that.

I wouldn't get a OB before the boat, unless the model boat is decided and you just have to choose which one. Too many variables. Will you need LS or XLS? Battery charging? Electric start because the motor is to low to easily pull start it?
Researching a motor for my N17 I read seveal times 1HP for each 500lbs displacement. My 25 is around 4,000lbs so an 8 is recomended. Having a 9.9 hp, in chop and high wind I can run < 1/2 throttle which is much quieter than full throttle. I also like to know I have power in reserve.

If your asking if the Eska OB is any good, I have no idea.
Many years ago I used Evinrude and Johnson 2 strokes which were bullet proof. Had a Honda 4 stroke 2Hp and recently bought a Tohatsu 4 stroke 6HP for our fishing boat. Had the Honda for over 20 years of very hard use, it was perfect. Have the Tohatsu for a year, runs perfectly right bout of the box. Also have used rental Yamahas, same thing, they just run with no problems.
Long shafts are your friend for sailboat use. Also, some Mfrs offer low pitch, high thrust props, well worth it.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook