SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Pogo 12.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Thanks Eric. That was one of the best if not the best post on this thread and that is not only because it confirms what I think about the Pogo

I am really happy that the boat was everything you have hoped for.

The upwind performance with waves was expected and that is the reason that even a 40 Class racer can be beaten on a upwind race like the Hobart by a well sailed First 40, but we also saw what one had made on the last ARC Transat, beating a Swan 80.

My boat can make 6.5K at 27º on the conditions you give up to go upwind at 35º of apparent wind and actually is fun doing that (even if my wife got seasick) but certainly will not make 15K bearing off.

The only thing I think that deserves some thought is that need of changing the front sail when the wind increases. Certainly the guys from Pogo can provide you with a front sail that can work well furled even if at the cost of some performance, at least to be used when you sail solo or with your wife. probably the problem is with the front traveler position. Maybe a fixed point more inside for the lines?

Regarding that lack of efficiency with the engine I have experienced the same with the Opium 39 and the RM 1200, both boats with the large transom and I have saw in boat tests also a smaller motoring speed with the same engine on that type of boats. I guess you are right in what regards to more drag with the boat flat in the water, drag that only disappear when the boat heels slightly.

Again thank you for the excellent post and a great new year to you.

Thanks a lot, Paulo. Coming from you this is a very precious compliment.

So far we didn’t get the opportunity to spar with a Comet and certainly not the stunning 41. But at speed with 27° to the apparent wind we don’t stand a chance, probably not even to catch you back jibing on the downrun . For this we should have bought ourselves a racer and not a fast cruiser.

You’re right, a solent that can be partially rolled would be a good solution when encountering unforeseen hard winds with the inner forestay and staysail not rigged beforehand. The Facnor flatdeck roller can certainly take it and I think also the forestay profile is suited.

As you said, apart from another solent this implies a different system to control the sheeting angle. Now we have no rail at all, the clew of the sail is simply controlled by two lines returning to the cockpit. It looks quite “racy” but in fact it is very efficient once you get used to it because the sheeting angle can be set in three dimensions. Without this, especially the ability to bring the clew inward, our tacking angles would even be worse .

But this setup will be in the wrong position with a partially rolled solent so we would then need a rail more forward to cope with different degrees of reefing.

I will certainly discuss this with Structures. Our many previous trips to see the boat being built made us fall in love with Brittany, so we plan to return there for our next holiday and pay the yard a visit.

We somewhat anticipated this problem, certainly when our sons are sailing the boat. You know, dinghy sailors… they trim the sail as flat and as open as they can before changing it for the staysail. This is very challenging for the sailcloth and even the best Dacron would probably not survive this kind of treatment very long, that’s why we have a solent in carbon reinforced laminate.

Nice sail, but we also have learnt about its drawbacks. This cloth has no stretch at all, which makes “the groove” upwind very narrow for the helmsman. It also means that the clutch (dyneema cored halyard, so also there almost no stretch) takes it all. No problem for the clutch or the halyard core, but the polyester mantle didn’t hold the tension and teared twice. Now we keep the halyard on the winch with the clutch open when tensioned.

I’ll keep you updated about the results with the higher pitched propeller blades or the three blade replacement. I certainly hope to be able to avoid plan C, which is a stronger engine .

Best regards and wishing you all an excellent start in 2013,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook