SailNet Community - View Single Post - outboard size for 23-26' boats?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: outboard size for 23-26' boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
I sail a 26 ft Luger on lake Erie. My motor is a 8 HP evinrude saildrive with an extra long shaft. In normal conditions it is more than enough but I wish I had gone for more power. A 15 or even 20 HP would have been a better choice and well worth the couple of extra pounds that come with it. I also would have went with a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke. When the wind isnt blowing and you need to get home or the storm is on the horizon it would be nice to not have to listen to the 2 stroke screaming.A little more power means less stress on the motor as long as your not running it wide open.
As mentioned we had a 15HP on a Coronado 25. It was all the power we needed for inside and outside of San Francisco Bay with its strong currents and high short (nasty) chop. As the 9.9 and 15HP motors weighed the same we went with the 15HP 2 stroke which at about 60 lbs was the same weight as our present Tohatsu 6HP 4 stroke.

I would have bought a 2 new stroke had they been available. Whatever boat you buy if weight is a factor you might consider a used 2 stroke, preferably used only in fresh water. I have seen lots of them for sale in our local Craigslist. Someday, when things get bad you will be happy you bought the bigger motor.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook