SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reefing a headsail???
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Reefing a headsail???

Well...... I go t the sail last week. Seems the BAG is a Neil Pryde and has 110% listed onnit; but the sail is another story. Remnant of glue from a formerly there name patch; circular about 6 inches..any clue?

It *is* in great shape, hardware's good and the hanks are as advertised. WHile that's all good, the foot *is* what he sent me, dimension-wise; a measured 16'-3". Doing the math; it looks like I am the new owner of a 150% Genoa!!

Before going all hysteric and sending it out for modifications....

I *do* have a spare main...P 30 X E 10.75 ft.Looks like it might have a reef point at approx 25% or four feet up the luff. The loops/hoops that fasten the sliders uses a thru-bolt. I *could* use garden variety s.s. spring clips or carabiners to hank it on and use the leech reef point for the sheet; then just reef the reamaining triangle into a roll and tie off.
Balance would be 140 +/- sf as compared to 187sf for a 100 %. Roughly an 75%'er.

Another option would be to hoist the entire main (albeit, backwards!) higher and use a cable bridle to attach the tack to the deck plate?? to get the clew up off the deck. The 36' something forestay wouldn't care; would it?? Ends up at 86% of I/J

Might be a tad goofy; but would do for a reduced/storm/learning jib?? I'd hate ta get caught out..as a noob.. with that much (150%) canvas up ta start with.

IN the meantime, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a *real* 100% +/- jib!

Last edited by deltaten; 12-31-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook