SailNet Community - View Single Post - Leak at mast wiring deck penetration
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Leak at mast wiring deck penetration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
I've seen tubes like this on the web (some appear to be integrated into the mast step). Mine doesn't have one, at least not that I can see from the bottom side. Just a roughly drilled hole in the deck (which is quite thick in this area, and cored with plywood, vice balsa).
If you can see plywood, then you need to get it potted out with epoxy. My guess is that they changed the hole (enlarged) when they installed the radar. If you can get the leak to stop you should be OK till the next time you bring your mast down, but if you keep getting water in there you will have big problems. The problem with plywood is that it tends to wick the moisture along the ply's, and get big sections of wet core. At least end grain Balsa will tend to keep the moisture localized as long as there is not that much moisture. It might be worth it to try to at least seal the core with some epoxy from underneath. You could use a syringe to try to get the exposed ply wetted out doing it one half of the hole at once, holding the wires to the opposite side. Though without pictures it is hard to see how much room you have. I would think pushing the wire back in is likely to have it go back into the same shape it was before so I would think you would get your drip loop back if it was there in the first place.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook