SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

I don't have the desire to read all the post but I wanted to add a few things if it has not been mentioned already...

Must haves:

- Immersion Blender (provided you have an inverter, or buy a battery powered one) I like the inexpensive ones from Braun for the boat. This is also my favorite gadget
- Cast Iron Skillet, why...if you really intend to sear something properly using a boat stove top, a thin cheap pan will not hold the heat long enough to actually get the proper sear/caramelization, a thick cast iron skillet will hold the heat well, just don't overload the skillet. Light oiling after use of course.
- Knives; chefs, paring, and boning/fillet knives plus a serrated slicer, anything else is just bonus IMO
- Steamer insert, preferably the folding kind, steaming is fast and great for green vegetables or fish
- Pizza Stone, great for cooking pizza or bread on the grill in the summer
- good pair of Tongs
- Cheese Grater, if you use block cheese like Parmesan, I don't care for the pre shredded
- stove top Griddle Pan, cast iron
- Skewers, ,metal or bamboo, whatever your preference
- Pepper Mill, don't go cheap with this
- Wooden Cutting Board, without getting into a big debate, wood is actually safer than plastic, since plastic cutting boards should be cleaned in a dishwasher to be properly sanitized. Wood will dry out/absorb moisture naturally leaving no place for the bacteria to grow, unlike plastic. An occasional wipe down with vinegar if your paranoid

Don't need:
- Wok, boat stoves don't get hot enough, hell even my stove at home doesn't get hot enough

You all may find this funny, but I have only used a pressure cooker once, during a competition...I hate em, but maybe I just haven't given it a chance, but I could see their usefulness aboard, especially at sea LOL

Last edited by T37Chef; 12-31-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook