SailNet Community - View Single Post - Close call! Who had rights?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Close call! Who had rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Interesting discussion. No one mentioned the prescribed whistle signals:-) I'm going over all the rules lately and it always seems somewhat pointless because so few people know the rules, signals, lights, etc. Those that do know the rules don't use them BECAUSE so few people would have a clue as to why you might be whistling 5 short blasts when they did something stupid or why you honked twice when overtaking stb. They would just think you were being rude and possibly give you the finger as you went by
In the case of the OP,there was no time to blow whistles. The other crew started yelling and though I couldn't hear what they were saying, the problem and only remedy (if I was fast and lucky!) was obvious. FULL REVERSE!
In addition, because we were spectators at a race, yelling was probably more effective, as I might have mistook the whistle as race activity. Not that they use whistles at Yacht races, certainly not the AC!
However, on larger vessels, 5 horn blasts are probably the most immediate way to draw attention, as yelling ain't going to work!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook