SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Shawn and I disagree about this. Wood cutting boards are not permitted by 98% of the Health departments accross the country. The main reason is the porus nature of the wood which prevents it from become easy to clean and sanitizable. The old way in restauants was to bleach them, but thats not good for the environment either.

Dave
As Dave says, we disagree on the topic. The porus nature of wood is exactly what makes it safer than plastic. As linked in the articles I posted, even the USDA has changed its guidelines on the use of wood boards. The key is used plastic boards that are scared by knives, allow bacteria to become difficult to remove and/or kill, wood does not and therefore is actually safer for the home cook.

As always, food prep & cooking at home (or boat since we are discussing galley ware) vs. a commercial kitchen setting are very different.

Sorry Dave, provide some scientific evidence that plastic is actually safer than wood and I will listen, until then

Another article on research showing that wood may be the better choice, http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents2008/cutboard-eval.pdf

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 01-01-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook