SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production boats- justified bias?
View Single Post
post #255 of Old 01-01-2013
Re: Production boats- justified bias?

Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Daniel////good to see you back by the way

I think maybe I wasnt being clear. I wasnt comparing the C&C, Sabre, Tartan of 1980 vs todays production boat. I was comparing apples and apples by by comparing it to the build quality of the 1980 Hunters, Catalinas, and Benne. Thus the refernece to Cherubini exception and the resale values.

I think the same applies today and dont put the modern Tartan, Sabre and C&C in the same category as the mass production boats. A 2011 C&C, Tartan , Sabre, while I Know Paulo may disagree about design characteristics which he knows more about, is a significant differnt quality boat than the mass produced ones. Thus the price differences/
Wow, step out for a few hours to put on the winter cover (which sucks!) and two pages of posts appear! All great stuff. Going to work tomorrow is going to be tough!

I see your point now. Apologies for missing it. That said, I'm still not sure I agree. Take Hunter out of it. The 70's and 80's was an early time for that company, and they made a lot of junk back then (IMHO).

I just don't think C&C, Pearson, Ericson, etc., made better boats than Beneteau or Catalina of similar vintage. Not from what I've seen.

By the way, current C&C is not the same build quality as Sabre, or even Tartan. I know it's owned by the same Tartan peeps, but the boats are much more lightly built. I think the new Tartans are incredibly nice. The C&Cs are just not in the same category. The C&C is no better than the Bene's or Catalinas. I've spent time on them, and I see nothing distinguishing them.

As for Tartan and Sabre, and others, I certainly agree, they are nicer than BeneHuntAlinas. In my opinion anyway. That's why you pay twice as much for them!

Dan Goldberg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome