SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production boats- justified bias?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Production boats- justified bias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
That's what I've always considered to be the primary drawback to the Leisure-Furl, the incredible weight of the boom on a bigger boat... The fittings at the gooseneck, and vang, have got to be massively overbuilt, the loads can be enormous...

Sailing that Trintella 50, with such a massive main, one of my biggest fears was always an accidental jibe... And, with the deeply swept-back spreaders on that rig (another modern production boat trend I'm not a fan of on a cruising boat), sailing deep downwind that was always a possibility...

I can't imagine having to deal with a broken gooseneck on a L-F boom, on a boat of that size... You were lucky no one was hurt, in that episode...
It's a pretty interesting story, but the truth is it never felt "dangerous." It's not like the whole thing "blew up" or anything. First thing though, just to clarify, it wasn't a Leisurefurl. It was a Furlboom. Main difference is that the furling drum is below the boom, aft of the mast. My personal opinion is that this is better than the Leisurefurl drum being forward of the mast, where it catches jib sheets, etc.

Anyway, our situation occurred during our first rally event in 2008. We were about halfway to Bermuda, with a reefed main. Then all of the sudden, the main started unrolling from the boom, which is how we knew something was wrong. Because we were reaching, and that boom furling mains feed into a luff groove on the mast, we had a hard time getting the main down, but managed.

We were on a Freedom 45, and if you know the boat, the main is large and the jib is tiny. Being without the main is a real issue. Thankfully, the wind was aft of the beam, so we were able to get the chute up and go with that for a bit. But then the wind moved forward and went very light. We were a motorboat at that point, as a practical matter. Problem was, we weren't sure if we had enough fuel. We were calculating and recalculating almost constantly, or at least I was!

Then the story got interesting, as we came across a cruise ship, and we were able to raise them. They agreed to give us some diesel, and it was a very cool experience. They launched a boat, put in a crew, all helmeted and ready for battle. They gave us 30 gallons of diesel in kitchen cooking oil containers! We were able to make it in to Bermuda where we effected repairs. We have a little bit of a write-up here, with some pics: 2008 Event.

There was also an article in Lats&Atts, but I can't seem to find it.

Sorry for the hijack, but it's a cool story, so figured I'd share.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook