SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stay out of Georgia
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay out of Georgia

When operating a marina in Marco Is. Fla some years back, I purchased a 72' shrimp boat at a customs auction and moved it to the marina. To the residents of Marco Is. it was an "eye sore" (as were pick up trucks and vans, which you could not park in your driveway or on the street overnight), and a state official (I don't remember the division) was sent to have it removed. When he found I was dockmaster, he immediately left saying he had no further interest in the situation.
Pressure was put on the marina and I was grudgingly asked to remove the boat by the owners. After some research, I found that no state has jurisdiction over the waters of the ICW and I found a spot in the ICW that would not interfere with vessel traffic, but was in plain view from the MI bridge (I was younger and didn't mind a bit of a fight). Though huge pressure was put on the FMP, DNR and the sheriff, none ever bothered me again, being in federal waters.
I'm not saying to cause a ruckus or flaunt the laws, but should there be a need, this is one way to circumvent unreasonable local or state laws. A similar tactic worked for me in Essex, Ct. when I ran afoul of their idiotic (and illegal, according to the ACLU) anchoring laws.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook