SailNet Community - View Single Post - Two dumb anchoring questions
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Two dumb anchoring questions

Yes, if you are chartering just grab a mooring.

The only times I have used a mooring ball in the BVIs was one or two nights when I had a friend on board and wanted to get the closest spot to the beach to make the holiday experience better for my friend.

However if you are taking your own boat then you can anchor in each and every bay. I even did Trellis Bay on the pick!

Someone said use a scope of 7:1. I think they may have misread your post and thought you meant the Bahamas with very shallow water. Often in the BVIs you will be anchoring in 30 feet of water that's 210 feet of chain. In 30 feet I use about 120 feet chain.

My basic rule of where to drop is 3 boat lengths astern of the clown in front. Dump say 90 feet chain down and when it settles relax to the wind a minute or two then pull slowly back till I dig in. Then I increase the revs to pull back hard.

Then I watch for 30 minutes and if I am not happy i will move. A few weeks ago in the ICW I re anchored FIVE times before I was happy (grass over hard mud???) but I didn't get embarrassed or distracted, just did it again and again till it got in.
Then I dump in the rest of the chain to my desired scope.

Next point is most important.... When I am anchored and someone else arrives to anchor near me I give them a cheery wave and GO BELOW! I do not stand on deck watching them. I do not stand with my arms folded claiming I own the water etc.
I stay below for 30 minutes.
Why?
Because most people will work out if they have dropped in the right spot within 30 minutes. But sometimes it takes that long to tell.
Then if I have a REAL problem with the new people I will go in the dinghy and ask them about their cruise, etc, and then ask them if they have anchored here before etc etc etc.... I don't think I have ever told someone outright they are too close, but after a bit of discussion the new people always mention it.... And then they move.

And when I have just anchored I jump in the dink and go say hello to the arms folded wanker brigade... And the nice people too. Funnily enough some of the arms folded people turn out to be quite nice.... Just a bad first impression.

Re the rudder. When there is no current the helm can be amidships. But in current you are free to experiment. If you are a bit close to another boat you can swing the helm a bit.... But you need to remember the tide changes!

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-01-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook