SailNet Community - View Single Post - Add bluetooth to nmea cheaply?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013

IPM is on a distinguished road
Re: Add bluetooth to nmea cheaply?

Had unexpected time to do more work on this and discovered the bluetooth module is broken. So I tried a silex troy500 serial to wifi device purchased on ebay for around $25 including postage. I configured the troy500 serial port for 4800 baud, configured the wifi for adhoc network and a static IP address. And used the raymarine serial adapter cord 86001 to connect the wifi adapter to the 85001 raymarine multiplexer. Set the wireless card on my laptop for a compatible static wifi address. On the laptop installed the silex virtual serial port software that once configured looks for the serial to wifi device and offers up the data as a serial port to the laptop. And OH My Gosh it works. I can see all the nmea data rolling in (hyperterminal). And opencpn see's it so easily. Raytech see's the serial port as well but is such a clunky inconvenient software........another story. Will get around to accessing the data with an android.
If U already have a multiplexer, just add a serial to wifi device. Bluetooth should have worked as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook