SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I disagree with this.

Money is not the lubricant or the fuel for most of the world's people. It's only in "civilized" countries that a parent pays their child to babysit their own brother or sister. Many of the people in this world live day to day without money, they eat, sleep, bath, keep themselves warm, take care of their children, grow their food, raise their animals, etc, without using money.

I would agree with what you wrote if you had written that the world works on exchange of value because for the most part it does, but that exchange of value is rarely money in places where hard currency is scarce, more often it is things like labor, food, affection, and promises.

I think Brent Swain has a point.
And the ball is lost in the weeds again....lol

Since this thread is about live aboard marinas, I think this spring I'll go to our marina office and ask what besides money can I give to allow me to stay. There answer will probably the title to my boat if I don't give them cash or remove my boat from their property.

The reason cash is first in value is it helps equal out things. Someone can offer labor in exchange for something, but what quality of labor are you getting? One persons idea of hard work will very greatly with another.

If you have a job your pay will eventually adjust itself to the value of what you are doing. This not always happens but generally it does.

There are many places even in the USA where I have used trade of services to avoid paying cash and I agree those instances have been more rewarding than simply handing over $$. just not at the marina.

I'm done with this subject and counting the days until our boat is launched, Only 90 to go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook