SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production boats- justified bias?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Production boats- justified bias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
Something I've been wondering about which this thread hasn't covered...

My question is about the climate you intend to sail. If I were in the extreme North or South where the weather is horrible and cold, I want the best weatherproof shelter I can find. However, between those latitudes where the majority of humanity lives and thrives- it gets hot and humid. Weatherproof also means breeze-proof.

I see a lot of boat with almost zero ventilation. While this would be vastly superior for seaworthiness, can anyone stand to go below during the daytime?

Where would you trade some inherent safety for livability, design-wise?

I don't care to live like that anymore. So what desgin factors are you guys willing to compromise perfection in order to have a boat you want to be on?
You make the right questions but the answers are out there. You have just to look at the kind of boats that are used to cruise and live aboard on the North of Europe (if someone has the money to buy them) and on the South :

Solaris ONE 44 from Richard Langdon on Vimeo.

Two very seawothy boats with great interiors, the difference is that one favors living inside and the other outside, including sailing. The reasons for this different focus are obvious and have to do with climate.

You have several manufacturers of bluewater pilot/deck salons....all in the North of Europe because that is there where those boats make sense and where they are sold (I am not referring to false deck salons that are designed not to be sailed from the interior but just to have a bigger interior space).

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-01-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook